Environmental Policy for North Barrow Village Hall
The committee are committed to protecting and actively promoting the improvement of the local environment. We will ensure that environmental priorities are integrated into the decisions we take on all our services and will seek to:
1) Make the most efficient use of energy. We will endeavour to use the minimum quantities of energy possible in accordance with the safe and efficient operation of its heating, lighting, plant and machinery. We will, from time to time, review our energy sources, energy using appliances and energy efficiency with a view to causing the least environmental impact. We will monitor consumption and eliminate excessive or unnecessary use. We will communicate to hirers and staff the means by which energy may be conserved, e.g. closing doors.
2) Encourage those using the hall to walk, cycle and use public or communal transport as alternatives to the private car. We will seek to provide safe cycle storage and information about public transport in the Hall foyer.
3) Minimise all forms of pollution, using biodegradable chemicals where possible. Users will be encouraged to avoid creating noise pollution, especially at night.
4) Use the minimum quantities of water possible in accordance with our activities and ensure that the water it uses is both supplied and disposed of, in the purest condition possible, meeting statutory requirements. We will reduce leakage and eliminate excessive or unnecessary use, e.g. through avoiding unnecessary flushing of urinals when the hall is not in use. We will communicate to users and staff the need to conserve water e.g. turning taps off after use.
5) Avoid waste and encourage the appropriate conservation, re-use and recycling of resources. We will re-use and recycle materials as far as possible and, if this is impractical, disposal by a means which will have the least impact on the environment and conforms to statutory requirements. We will encourage users and staff to minimise waste, including the provision of separate disposal facilities for recycling glass, tins and paper.
6) We will ensure that the potential environmental impact of any building projects will be assessed and minimised. This will include, where possible, methods of construction which make best use of resources; designs which result in low maintenance and high energy efficiency and the use of building materials from sustainable sources such as timber. We will encourage volunteers, hirers and staff to use and operate the building correctly to conserve energy and minimise waste.
7) Promote a sense of responsibility and understanding for the environment and participation in environmental issues, by raising user and Trustee awareness, by information provision and open consultation with the local community. This will include using the solar display to illustrate the effectiveness of renewable technologies.
8) We will seek, where possible, to purchase from local or regional suppliers, in order to maximise input to the local community and minimise carbon emissions from transport.
9) Protect the health and well-being of all staff and visitors and improve and safeguard the quality of North Barrow village hall.
This policy will be reviewed annually at meeting after the AGM.
Approved by Committee on: 23rd June 2021
Review date: June 2022